Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sidney

No one ever said getting old was easy. What the *&%$? Not sure this is what I had in mind.....stuck in Sidney, Nebraska. Do any of you even know where Sidney is? I didn't. But, here I am. Working to do my share in the economic crisis...yes we are all in it. I find myself working in small town America. It is a one horse town where everything revolves around Cabela's. Everyone here works for, is married to someone who works for, or is related to someone who works for Cabela's Sporting Goods. This is their headquarters. It's also farming country, lot's of farmers who most likely shop Cabela's. There is a Walmart, a Subway, an Arby's, Mc Donalds and a Perkins. Everyone shops Walmart, because it's the only place to shop. Unless of course you need a fishing rod or tent, then you would go to Cabela's. The people here are friendly, the women a little frumpy. Their fashion dated. But somehow when you look at them, you know they put God and their families first, love their country and your sure they can make a mean cinnamon roll. And Gravy, these country women can always make good gravy. As much as I don't want to be here, I think everyone should have to spend a little time in a one horse town. You learn that there are still a lot of hardworking people who aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty, people who don't sit behind desks in cubicles stuck to a computer. People who actually watch sunsets, make real lemonade, go to church on Sunday, and are proud to be an American. And yes, make killer gravy.

No comments: